Tuesday, November 13

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (Better Than Merle's)

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (Better Than Merle's)

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (Better Than Merle's) I am not a pie expert. To be honest, this is the only pie I've ever made and it is only because my Grandma (Mom's side) no longer makes the desserts for family get togethers, resulting in the duty being passed on to me. Pumpkin pie is the expectation for Thanksgiving and if you ask me, 90% of the time it blows. The inspiration for this one came from my Aunt on my Dad's side of the family, who always made a version of pumpkin chiffon pie. My pumpkin chiffon pie however caused quite the stir at the Thanksgiving table last year. Grandpa took one bite and proceeded to say in front of my whole family, "this is the best pumpkin pie I've ever had, you should give this recipe to your Grandma". OUCH.


This pumpkin pie is so light in texture and doesn't contain gelatin like most other recipes do. Once you try it, you'll be embarrassed by the thought that you've served anything else.


INGREDIENTS


3 egg yolks
1 can of pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
3 egg whites, room temperature (seriously)
 

unbaked 9 inch (22 cm) pie shell
whipped cream, for garnish


DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat oven to 450°F. You will see why later.

2) I actually like to start by beating the egg whites (stiff peaks). Then I transfer them to another bowl, and rinse out the bowl on my stand up mixer. The egg whites are what makes this a "chiffon", but you knew that obviously.

3) Beat the egg yolks well in the mixer. Beat in the next seven ingredients. Then beat in the sour cream. Fold in your egg whites.

4) Turn into STORE BOUGHT pie shell. Honestly, who has time to make pie crust and it makes no difference people. Bake on bottom rack in 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for about 40 minutes until set and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

5) Serve with whipped cream! Obviously.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...