Saturday, November 24

Zucchini Bread

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Zucchini Bread

Zucchini Bread I was studying and got distracted by the urge to post a recipe. I also just drank half a bottle of wine.

The reason I decided to make a zucchini bread is simple. Ryan's mom gave me a ton of vegetables from their garden; carrots, potatoes, spaghetti squash, beets, and of course zucchini. What an interesting sensation that opening the fridge and finding food is.

Now I'm not really a huge fan of zucchini in general so I figured why not try a zucchini bread? This recipe is definitely good but I found that the cinnamon stole the show. The recipe calls for three teaspoons and I have left it at that however, you may wish to try using only two. Or, aim for three cups of zucchini if you can to increase the zucchini flavor (and density).


INGREDIENTS

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts


DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour two loaf pans. If you're like me and only have one loaf pan, it really makes life difficult. I have to bake one, wash the pan and then bake the second one. If you think that is sad, you should see the condition of my spatula.

2) Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.

3) Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in stand up mixer. Add the dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the zucchini and nuts until combined. Pour the batter into pan(s).

4) Bake for 40 - 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes or until you can't wait any longer. Remove from the pan. Follow cooling and slicing procedure for Banana Bread.

Note: Please make sure to leave the skin of the zucchini on. This is what gives it the nice flecks of green within. Also, do not squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini.


13/10/13 - Today I made this loaf and used 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. I highly recommend this. Was also feeling the need to jazz it up a little bit, so I decided to drizzle it with a maple glaze.


Maple Glaze

1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 cup icing sugar
milk (as much as required for desired consistency

Combine all and drizzle over the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...