Wednesday, August 12

Mincemeat Bran Muffins

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Mincemeat Bran Muffins

Ah the mincemeat bran muffin. It's strange what things stand out from your childhood memories. These muffins were a staple on the breakfast menu of my Aunt and Uncle's bed and breakfast in Victoria, BC. Every summer my family would make the drive from Calgary to the island for a visit with family and a stay at the B&B. This annual trip quickly became and still is my favorite event of the year. Once moved out on my own, I began making the drive alone and did so for several years. Now the boyfriend comes along and perhaps one day some kids will join us, bringing the tradition full circle.

One day I was going through an old box and came across the recipe. I thought it would be wonderful to make these muffins myself, and share the memory with Stephen. I didn't tell him what was in them, just that I was making muffins (his favorite thing). He was excited to try them. I told him there was a secret ingredient.

He hated them, and only because of the mincemeat. He can't look past it. So there the mincemeat jar sits, in the back of the fridge, feeling unwanted *tear*. When Stephen asks for muffins too many times, or when I'm too busy I threaten him by saying I'll make the mincemeat bran ones.

Kidding aside, these muffins really are amazing. They are easy, low maintenance (keep the batter in the fridge until ready to use) and they freeze well.


INGREDIENTS

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups milk (2% preferably)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mincemeat


DIRECTIONS

1) Beat together the egg, sugar and oil in a bowl. Add the milk and bran and beat together. Add the flour and other dry ingredients followed by the mincemeat. Let stand in the fridge at least overnight.

3) Preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 20 minutes as needed and keep the balance of the batter in the fridge until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...