Friday, December 28

Panettone Bread Pudding

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Panettone Bread Pudding

Panettone Bread Pudding I totally stole this one from Giada. I love panettone as toast at Christmas but it's hard for me to justify buying one since I live by myself. They are just so big and though they do freeze well, I'm never in the mood for panetonne at any other time of the year. I found this recipe and thought it would be a great way to get in my panettone fix without all the waste!



INGREDIENTS

Pudding
1 pound panettone, top crust removed
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups of sugar

Sauce
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


DIRECTIONS

1) Lightly butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Slice the panettone into one inch cubes and arrange in the baking dish.

Panettone, why you gotta be so awesome?

2) In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, whipping cream, milk and sugar. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes. Press down on the bread with a spatula, ensuring that all are well soaked. Let stand at least 30 minutes before baking but no more than 2 hours. Bake at 350F for at least an hour (mine took about an hour and fifteen minutes).

3) For the sauce, combine the water and brown sugar in a pot and boil for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the whipping cream and cinnamon. Either serve immediately over the pudding or refrigerate and reheat when ready to serve.

Key things I learned while making this recipe:

1) Bread pudding is not easily transported. Do not choose to make this if you are required to bring it to another location. I wrapped this with copious amounts of plastic wrap and a plastic bag and when I got to my mom's, half of the liquid was in the bag. We decided that no one was going to die if we just dumped the spilled liquid from the bag back into the dish. And no one did die.

2) Do not make a dessert that needs to be baked for over an hour post commencement of the meal. This is especially true when your guests have the attention span of my cat posing for a photo. You could have cut the tension with a knife over the fact that the dessert was taking so long. Might I add that it was approximately 6pm. Chill out people. Thank God this dessert was freaking marvelous, as the lengthy wait time was quickly forgotten.


Update 13/12/25: My brother thought this year's bread pudding was far superior to last year's. We contemplated why that would be, seeing as I did nothing differently. Then he figured it out, "it must be because this year, you omitted the drama".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...