Monday, January 7

Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce

As I've previously mentioned, when invited over to someone's house for dinner, etc. I am often asked to provide the dessert. Sometimes the decision regarding what to bring is simple, and that's to go with a recipe tried and true. Other times I use it as an opportunity to experiment with something new. However, there is the rare occasion when I am provided with a dietary challenge. Bring it on! Said challenge; lactose intolerance. Then I discovered quickly how few recipes exist sans some form of milk (butter was at least doable).

Just when I was about to abandon my search and tell him to suck it up and get some lactaid it came to me - gingerbread! Freaking genius right? WRONG. My internal celebration was quickly put to an end when I remembered it was June. How could I possibly get away with serving gingerbread in June? HELLER put a lemon sauce on it, citrus transforms all into a summery delight!
 

INGREDIENTS

Cake
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Sauce
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup water
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice


DIRECTIONS

 
 
I have to admit I'd had a bottle of wine before it came time to eat this. But the bottom line is that this recipe is indeed a winner, and I did some winning of my own later that evening as a result. Was that my outside voice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...