Monday, January 21

Pinterest Recipe Trial #1: Almond Poppyseed Loaf

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Pinterest Recipe Trial #1: Almond Poppyseed Loaf

Pinterest Recipe Trial #1: Almond Poppyseed Loaf Here it is, my first time trying a baking recipe that I found on pinterest. This one caught my eye for a few reasons:

1) Loaves are my favorite thing to bake.
2) I love poppy seeds and that's alright because I'm never going to make it to the Olympics.
3) It comes with a glaze.

Before finalizing my decision I skimmed the ingredients to make sure there was nothing weird that I would have to go out of my way to get. I did not however read the directions. And that is where the fun began...


INGREDIENTS

Loaf

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/8 cups cooking oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring extract (or 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter can be substituted)

Glaze
 
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter flavor extract (or 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter can be substituted)


DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F. Then I shit you not, it says "mix all the ingredients together". I'm sorry in what world do we bake like this? It sure would explain why the ingredients list doesn't even make an attempt at a meaningful order. Since I actually know how to bake, I created directions as follows:

1) In mixer, combine eggs and sugar. Once blended smooth, mix in the oil (is that extra 1/8 of a cup really necessary?), vanilla, almond extract and melted butter. Do not use butter flavor extract, use the real thing.

2) In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. Add to the wet ingredients alternating with the milk. Grease and flour the bottoms only of two loaf pans and pour in batter.

3) Turns out this took about 70 minutes to bake. Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

4) For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan. I didn't have orange juice so I was like, "what up citrus five alive in my fridge". Heat until the sugar has dissolved. Follow glazing instructions for lemon pound cake.



Receiving glaze...
Well, on a scale of repulsive to "jizz in my pants" I rate this as mediocre. The texture was fluffy and edges crunchy and sufficiently calorie soaked, but the flavor was nothing to write home about. I was actually surprised at how light it was as I was expecting it to be super rich. There is an element of danger here because you could probably eat a lot without you're body warning you that you've had too much.

Link to the original recipe on pinterest.


TESTIMONIALS

Sue (Mom): "Your lemon loaf is f***ing amazing :D"

It's not lemon...

"Oh, why did I think it was lemon? Guess it was the poppyseeds lol. All I know is it was moist and delicious!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...