Friday, September 6

Rice Krispies Squares - Jumbo Marshmallow Experiment

id="recipetitle"class="fn">Rice Krispies Squares - Jumbo Marshmallow Experiment

Rice Krispies Squares - Jumbo Marshmallow Experiment So, boyfriend (yes I have one now, claps for me) decides to buy a massive bag of jumbo tutti fruiti marshmallows at the market while on vacation. In what world this is necessary I have no idea. Naturally we come home with the bag unopened and it sits on my counter for a few weeks. The only thing one can really do with marshmallows is make rice krispies squares.

Ask my family about the competition to see how many can fit in your mouth

I hadn't made rice krispies squares, or eaten them since I was a child. I remembered the basic ingredients though, and adapted to accommodate jumbo tutti fruiti marshmallows.

I had no idea the culinary adventure that was about to ensue.


INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup butter
8 jumbo marshmallows, cut into chunks (or 4 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups of rice krispies cereal


DIRECTIONS

1) Spray with Pam, a 9x13 inch baking pan. This is going to be too big, but I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe use a loaf pan, like who uses a loaf pan for rice krispies squares? Um, you because you're awesome.

2) Cut your jumbo marshmallows into reasonable sized chunks. Then to a large pot on medium-low heat, add your marshmallows and butter. Once they had started to melt I added my vanilla, which was arguably a bit premature (I got excited), so you may wish to hold off to ensure that it doesn't burn. Stir until gooey.



3) Add your rice krispies cereal to the pot. Now this is where the gong show begins. Half of your cereal is going to stick to the bottom, and you are going to frantically try to scrape it off to salvage these krispies. I do not recommend doing this, as it crushes them into dust. Abandon these bits, the damage is done. Stirring the cereal into the marshmallows is pretty much the worst thing that you will ever do in your life, but I found that swear words were slightly effective.

4) Turn the mixture out into your pan. Wet your hands to avoid sticking, and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Because my pan was too big, it turned out very thin and disappointing.



I thought these were going to suck, but the surprising twist is that they are actually amazing. Not  going to lie, it crossed my mind a few times during the process that I was finally going to ruin something. Saved again by the baking Gods.

3 comments:

  1. My kids love these this time of year, thanks for sharing i had forgot how to make these...

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are such a simple, but wonderful treat. I'm glad you stumbled across this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this wasn't sure how many jumbo ones i'd have to use lol and to avoid the sticky hands when pressing them down I just use a piece of wax paper or parchment paper.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...